Back to Top
World, Central America, Guatemala, Antigua Guatemala
We need 11 volunteers
Come and Volunteer with Ninos de Guatemala assisting our classrooms and teachers, sharing with our children and youth while you experience Guatemala culture.
You can choose between:
1. Short-term international volunteer program at Niños de Guatemala will be of at least 4 weeks of time, and up to 3 months.
2. Long-term international volunteer program at Niños de Guatemala will be of at least 6 months, and up to 1 year.
- Be flexible, motivated and willing to change children's lives.
- A positive attitude
- An appreciation of new cultures that will help you settle in Guatemala and enjoy all of the new experiences;
- Be 18 years old or older .
- Commit to at least 4 weeks of volunteer work, and a min of 20 hours a week.
Volunteer Work Openings:
1. Classroom Assistance [Level of Spanish: basic]
Monday to Friday: 7:30 am - 12:00 pm
Being a classroom assistant will give you the opportunity to deeply engage with a classroom and a teacher. This program will make you understand how life in one of our NDG school works. Volunteers will be paired with a class and aid one of our teachers in any way that is useful, whether it is to cut and glue paper into notebooks, handing out soap or toothpaste, helping kids with in-class worksheets, or homework.
2. English Classroom Assistance [Level of Spanish: basic]
Personalized schedule within the english lessons (8am-12:30pm) and some afternoons (2pm-4pm)
The program that needs the most support from volunteers, especially because Ninos de Guatemala is trying to transition into a “double immersion” school. We would love our students to be more and more exposed to the English language every day, and you can help. We are looking to support our english teachers in the classroom and also in the afternoons. You will probably be assisting the elementary students but also our middle school students. With this program, get to know must of our students.
3. Artistic Expression Workshops and Sports workshops [Level of Spanish:
Monday to Friday: 2:00 pm - 4:30 pm
This program is for volunteers who have a good level of Spanish and who feel comfortable independently leading workshops with an entire class. We ask volunteers to come prepared with extra-curricular lesson plans in an area of their interest such as Art, Theatre, sports, etc. We are open to new ideas so our children are exposed to new and enriching experiences.
4. Tutoring [Level of Spanish: advanced]
Personalized schedule and a minimum of 4 week commitment
Tutoring Program is one of the most involved programs on offer, as you develop a close relationship with 2 -3 children. Volunteers are matched with students who experience learning disabilities and due to your long-term commitment, is an extremely rewarding experience for both child and volunteer. You will meet several times a week to work on personalized material given by the teacher or director and will help them to grasp concepts from class that they need
extra assistance with. There is a little more flexibility with this program as the volunteer can choose which days in the afternoon they would like to come in. However, it is recommended to do this program simultaneously with the Classroom Assistance.
5. Summer Camp [Level of Spanish: all spanish levels] (NOVEMBER ONLY)
During November, students return to school to participate in extra-curricular workshops. There are 2 options for our volunteers:
● Workshops: Volunteers get to lead a workshop of their choice, whose focus is up to you! Workshops have in the past focused on for example English, sport, science, art and much more! Volunteers can also team up and carry out workshops together. The workshops requires planning beforehand, so if you would like to participate, please contact the volunteer coordinator who shall assist you in making a personalized schedule based on the summer school plans and objective for the year, and of course your interests.
● Classroom Assistance: Morning classes take place as normal with the established teacher and volunteers are welcome to assist in these classes.
You can combine this program with tutoring or facilitation workshops in the afternoons (2pm to 4pm).
I also know some Portuguese and French :)
My name is Carlota Morales and I am the Volunteer and Groups Manager at Ninos de Guatemala, it will be a pleasure to have you on my team, we love volunteers.
Open for offers, contact us
A room, and you can choose if it is with shared or private bathroom. There is a fee, ask us for more information.
The homestay will provide your meals.